Twice Baked Cheese Souffle with Wild Garlic Pesto
by Byam Trotter
42 g butter
42 g plain flour
100 g cream cheese or soft goats cheese
3 egg yolks
4 egg whites
Trotter’s wild garlic pesto
10ml double cream
- Turn the oven to gas 5 190C
- Put the milk, onion, nutmeg and the bay leaf in a pan and just bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover and infuse.
- Melt butter in a pan and add flour, cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk through a sieve into the pan and cook over a low heat until thick, stirring well.
- Add the cheese and beat until melted into the mixture,
- Remove from the heat and beat in the yolks.
- Whisk the whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Add a quarter of the whites to the mixture and gently mix in, then return the mixture to the egg whites and fold through., with a spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into 6 darioles or ramekins lined with cling film.
- Place in a tray of hot water ( bain-marie) and cook for about 15 minutes in the centre of the oven gas 6 until risen and lightly browned. Leave to cool.
- When ready to serve, turn out the souffles and place in a suitable baking dish.
- Mix about 4 tsp Trotter’s wild garlic pesto with the cream, depending on your taste! Pour over souffles, Bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned and risen.
You can buy all of these ingredients and Trotters Condiments from our Food Hall but one word of warning the Wild Garlic Pesto is very popular and flies off the shelves, no sooner have we got it in than it’s gone again, so be fast!