Panettone is delicious by itself, but it can also double up as a luxurious winter dessert that’s surprisingly easy to make. Serves: 4, 10 mins to prep, 35 mins to cook
- 50g butter
- 300g panettone
- 2 eggs
- 142ml carton double cream
- 250ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- icing sugar to dust
● Heat the oven to 160C/ 140C fan/ gas 3 and grease a 850ml/1½ pint baking dish with a little of the butter.
● Slice panettone into wedges, leaving the crusts on.
● Use the rest of the butter to spread over the slices.
● Arrange the buttered panettone slices in the dish, buttered side up.
● Whisk up the eggs, double cream, milk, vanilla extract and caster sugar and pour over the panettone.
● Put the dish in a roasting tin and pour hot water around it to a depth of about 2.5cm/1in.
● Bake for 35 minutes until the pudding is browned on top and golden inside.
● Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.