Using buffalo meat from the Buffalo Farm, Fife, instead of the usual beef mince makes this spicy chilli lower in fat than usual. Mackie’s Gingerbread popcorn makes the perfect easy sweet treat after.
Serves: 10, takes approx 90 minutes to make
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
2 1/2 pounds buffalo mince
1 large onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 jalapenos (seeded and diced)
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 28-oz can tomato puree
1/2 cup chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
11/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne
2 cups beef stock (or water)
2 15-ounce cans kidney beans (drained)
● Brown the mince in the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
● Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
● Add all remaining ingredients except the beans and bring to a boil.
● Reduce the heat to low and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Water can be added to adjust for thinner or thicker chilli.
● Add the beans and cook for 15 minutes more.