Soda bread is one of the easiest breads to make – no proving, no yeast and ready in under an hour. Delicious warm from the oven or toasted the next day.
- 6 oz wholemeal flour
- 6 oz plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½–¾ pint of buttermilk or yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
- Tip all the dry ingredients (flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda) into a bowl and mix.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk (or yogurt). Mix in to form a soft dough (add a little extra milk if the dough seems too stiff).
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
- Knead briefly on a floured surface and form a round. Flatten slightly then place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Cut a cross in the top, making sure that you cut deeply–almost but not quite to the bottom of the loaf.
- Bake for about 30 minutes–check to see if it is ready by tapping on the bottom of the loaf–it should sound hollow.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Love to bake? Try our breadmaking workshops – https://www.lochlevenslarder.com/bread