Vegetarian • Gluten Free • Preparation time: 20 minutes • Cooking time: 1 hour • Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 600g beetroot, halved if large, stalks trimmed to 4cm
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 2 x 200g packs Swiss chard, leaves separated, stalks roughly chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 190°C, gas 5. Cut out 4 x 25cm squares of foil; divide the beets & thyme between them, bringing up the edges. Add ½ tbsp oil, ½ tbsp vinegar and 1 garlic clove to each square. Seal foil tightly to make 4 loose, but well-sealed, parcels. Bake for 50-55 mins, until tender.
- Peel and slice the remaining 2 garlic cloves. Put ½ in the small bowl of a food processor with the mayonnaise, yogurt and a small handful of chard leaves (no stalks). Season and whizz to make an aioli flecked with green.
- Put remaining 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chard stalks and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining garlic and cook for 1 minute then add remaining chard leaves with 1 tbsp water and cook for 2 minutes, until wilted. Add the lemon juice; season. Unwrap the beets. Squeeze the garlic from its skin and serve with the beets, aioli, greens & crusty bread.